Tiny Cottage Kitchen may earn money or products from the companies or product links mentioned in this post. This supports continued free recipes for you to enjoy.
Keto dinner idea french onion chicken (gluten free)
This carnivore and keto friendly recipe is incredibly flavorful and satisfying. For serving I suggest mash, specifically the carnivore mashed potato recipe from Chris Cooking Nashville's youtube channel. I make it a few times per month and its great for meal prep.
For bread crumbs I use another low carb carnivore staple which is egg white bread. There are many variations of Maria Emmerich's original recipe so use the one you like or a low carb bread slice or pork panko.
I use cornstarch in meatball and meatloaf recipes to help hold the flavorful juices into the meat. Don't skip this step.
You may also like this carnivore breakfast bowl of savory high protein porridge.
French Onion Chicken Meatballs (with carnivore mashed potatoes)
- 1 lb ground chicken no chicken breast
- 1 slice zero carb protein bread (or 1/2 c pork panko - https://amzn.to/47DjAZM) https://mariamindbodyhealth.com/protein-sparing-wonder-bread/
- 1/2 cup grated yellow onion with juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley or 2 tbsp fresh chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
French onion sauce
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1.5 cup beef bone broth or beef broth with 2 tsp beef gelatin added https://amzn.to/3sfbiY5
- salt and pepper to taste
- Onion powder if sauce needs more onion flavor
- 6 ounces Shredded cheese (one or a mix) swiss, mozzarella, gruyere, fontina, parmesan, havarti
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Process zero carb bread with thyme until it forms crumbs
- Add bread crumbs to chicken in a medium large mixing bowl, along with remaining meatball ingredients and combine well.
- shape into 1.5" meatballs on a parchment lined sheet.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or til a bit golden. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, put butter and olive oil in a sautee pan or skillet you want to bake in. You may also transfer meatballs to a shallow casserole and bake in that. Over medium heat, once butter is melted add sliced onion and allow to caramelize slowly to develop flavor.
- Once they get some color, add the pressed garlic cloves and cook 2 minutes or til raw garlic flavor mellows out.
- Add stock and simmer until it reduces and thickens a bit. Taste for seasoning near end of simmering time. About 7 minutes.
- If transferring meatballs to a baking dish, put them in now then pour onion sauce over them
- Gently lift meatballs to make sure sauce nestles under them.
- Cover with cheese(s) and put back in hot oven until cheese melts and barely begins to brown.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or carnivore mashed potatoes (https://youtu.be/E6vuPpXqu9A)